Re: Topband: Bad 160m Conditions

To: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Bad 160m Conditions
From: kq2m@kq2m.com
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2023 15:04:17 -0600
On 2023-01-08 14:37, David Olean wrote:
All the flare action normally happens on the downslope of the cycle.

Why do you say that? We had far more flares in 2022 than in 2021 and I expect more flaring in 2023 than 2022. And it is not just the frequency of the flaring that has increased, it is also the intensity of the flaring; 2022 had far more M class flares in 2022 than 2021 and 2022 also had the first X class flare, after many years of not having even one. And now we just had another X class flare only 8 days into 2023.

There is almost always more flaring during the upside of the new cycle than during the bottom
of the previous cycle and the flaring is almost always more intense.

Frequency and intensity of flaring typically follows this order:

1) Downside of the cycle
2) Upside of the new cycle
3) Bottoming phase of the previous cycle

Bob, KQ2M

Who knows what will happen then!!

Roger, I am still trying to fix my 160 rx antennas

73

Dave K1WHS

On 1/8/2023 2:41 PM, STEVE MCDONALD wrote:
>(in fact I don't even recall the Cycle affecting Top Band very much, unlike the higher bands.

Roger, I somewhat agree that things do seem a little different this time as even HF is not reflecting what these high flux numbers should be doing. I may be wrong but this present run-up of the cycle seems to have much more flaring (sometimes 20-30 per day) than previous cycles have had and these can really disrupt even HF propagation on the polar path. If we can see several days of a quiet undisturbed field things might improve for a bit.

Steve 73

WEB - "The VE7SL Radio Notebook": http://qsl.net/ve7sl/

VE7SL BLOG - "Homebrewing and Operating Adventures From 2200m to Nanowaves":
http://ve7sl.blogspot.ca/