Topband: Fwd: Re: Bad 160m Conditions

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Fwd: Re: Bad 160m Conditions
From: kq2m@kq2m.com
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2023 15:06:33 -0600

Hi Roger,

160 is notoriously unpredictable, possibly even more so than any other HF band except maybe 10 M. Sometimes just before a flare 160 cndx may be enhanced, and I have even seen some instances of flaring and elevated K indices K=3 or 4, where 160 propagation maybe be temporarily better than expected (if you are on 160 at night during the onset of the flare), but those times are infrequent at best.

The only propagation "constants" that I have seen over the past 4 cycles on 160 are:

1) Higher A and K levels generally mean poorer 160M propagation

2) PCA's, CME's, and auroras are all BAD for 160M prop. and find something else to do when you hear Stratwarm alerts.

3) 160 propagation worsens as we go up into the new solar cycle and improves noticeably
as we go head down towards the bottom of the cycle

4) Almost anything can happen on 160 at any time, a lot of which we still don't really understand, such as the difference between "Vertical nights" and "Horizontal nights". On those nights in particular, there are band openings that may go unnoticed due to the combination of stations thinking that cndx are "poor" and don't bother to CQ, plus other station using the wrong type of antenna on that night.

5) If I have learned anything about 160, it is that every time I think that I understand it, something different and unexpected happens. LOL!

73

Bob, KQ2M