Re: Topband: Bad 160m Conditions

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Bad 160m Conditions
From: Frank W3LPL <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 16:23:40 -0500 (EST)
Bob and Dave,

Solar flares are primarily X-ray events that affect 160 meter propagation
only on the sun facing side of the earth.

Geo-effective Fast Coronal Mass Ejections (CMEs) are by far the most
damaging solar effects on 160 meter propagation.  The majority of fast
CMEs never impact the earth and its ionosphere.  Strong geomagnetic
storms are are the best indicators of geo-effective fast CMEs, those
are storms that produce K indices of 5 or more.  We've had very
few of them so far in Cycle 25.  But buckle your seat belts because
they're coming this year and over at least the next five years

I suspect we're experiencing the absorptive and F2 blanketing
effects of increased E region ionization that often limits 160
meter propagation during periods when the solar flux index exceeds
about 100

73
Frank
W3LPL