[TowerTalk] Hole Alignments

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hole Alignments
From: nw9g@netusa1.net (W9SN)
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 22:58:58 -0500
Patrick Riggins wrote:

> > What is the best way to mark and drill holes in a straight line
> > along an alumimun tube? Also drilling thru to the other side of the
> > tube straight? An example would be 2 holes along the axis of an
> > element for a U-bolt. It seems that I never get it correst and end
> > up enlarging the holes to get hardware to fit. Thanks,
> >
> > Jim Bruce/ NV3V
>
> I am not sure this will work but it is just a thought. You might drill
> the holes into a board first with the proper spacing. Then drill four
> other holes that some U-bolts would fit into and around the aluminum.
> The just U-bolt the board to the aluminum and drill through your
> pre-drilled, pre-spaced holes into the aluminum. The U-bolts would
> hold the board securely onto the element and the pre-drilled board
> would make sure you got the holes exactly right. I have never tried
> this as I haven't ever built a beam antenna but it just came to me
> while reading your post. Good Luck !!
>
> -- Patrick Riggins KA4ZNU
>     priggins@usit.net
>
> --

Here is another thought.....
As long as the tube is not 30+ feet, then get some paper, do a chalk
line, cut out the holes, tape it to the tube,  take some spray paint
and paint thru holes onto the tube,  remove the paper and bingo!,
straight holes.  been there done that one.  Not an expert but I did
manage to make straight holes once after failing 3 times before.
Good luck....   best to use a drill press over hand drilling....

                                Steve Narducci
                        Amateur Radio Station -  W9SN
                          All Ten Tec Equiptment
                          Toys for "Real" CW Men