[TowerTalk] Hole Alignments

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hole Alignments
From: ve6nap@oanet.com (Gerald Caouette)
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 22:59:36 -0700
James D. Bruce wrote:

> What is the best way to mark and drill holes in a straight line along an
> alumimun tube? Also drilling thru to the other side of the tube straight? An
> example would be 2 holes along the axis of an element for a U-bolt. It seems
> that I never get it correst and end up enlarging the holes to get hardware
> to fit. Thanks,

2 machinists V Blocks and a drill press
Level the drill press table and square to the drill shank.
Clamp the two v blocks to the drill press table so as a small rod
ie 1/16 or smaller placed across the blocks is centered on the tip
of the drill . remove small rod replace with tube and drill first hole
Place a rod in the first hole  use this and a level or plumb bob to
align remaining holes if the tube is quite long you
may wish to add a support stand fabricated from some small
1X2 lumber..

hope this helps
73
de