[TowerTalk] Projected area of Hy-Gain beams

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Projected area of Hy-Gain beams
From: davidc@bit-net.com (DavidC)
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 16:29:59 -0400
> Another thought about Roger's listing for the Hygain antennas. Think what
you
> could put on the tower if you always kept the smaller area pointed at the
wind.
> The differences are pretty dramatic for everything except the 10M & 6M
> antennas!  73, Kurt

Now here is an interesting idea.  What about a wind
direction--sensor/limiter that would provide an indicator of directional
wind stress, or actual rotor control in high wind conditions to prevent
overstressing a tower?

Would this not allow one to load heavier and only be directionally limited
as high winds dictated?  It would allow larger antennas on lighter-duty
towers, would it not?

Sounds like a new rotor control option, especially for areas plagued by
high winds.

Hmmm, the gearloose inventor in me seems to have broken loose of the
restraints!
:-)  DavidC  AA1FA