[TowerTalk] Re: Projected Area (something rotten inDenmark)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Projected Area (something rotten inDenmark)
From: ni6w@yagistress.minden.nv.us (Kurt Andress)
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 08:15:45 -0700
Lee wrote:

> Thanks Kurt,
> But what I was wondering about was do you need that on a 100 foot R25?   I
> know that
> Rohn specs are shaby, but they dont spec them for 100 foot.
>
> I've erected many towers and we build a bracket that bolts together to attach
> the
> guys to.   I looks good and spreads the pull across all of the uprights.
> Never
> pulling directly on an upright or a Z-bar.

Hi Lee,Many towers work just fine without the TA25 assy. My opinion is that it
depends
on what antennas  are mounted on the tower. The mass and size of the antennas
and
rotator acceleration/deceleration determine the torque loads. Small light stuff
probably
doesn't need it, big heavy stuff probably does.

> I think that people need to remember that rigid in not strong.   Let me say
> that
> again, " If it dont move it will break".

I don't totally agree. A bit of the right movement can be helpful (like
rotation on a
pier pin footing). Too much of the wrong movement can break it (like rotation
on a fixed
footing).

73, Kurt.

--
YagiStress - The Ultimate Software for Yagi Mechanical Design
Visit http://www.freeyellow.com/members3/yagistress