[TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Failure

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Failure
From: k6ll@juno.com (Dave Hachadorian)
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 15:01:24 -0700
I had a Rohn screw anchor fail a few years ago. Fortunately
I was at home, noticed the loose guy wire, and was able to
take action to prevent the tower from falling over. The subject
was discussed quite a bit on this reflector in November, 1996.
The consensus was that the anchor failed due to electrolytic
action. The top 18 inches of soil is clay, the next 6 inches
is Caliche, and below that is sand. The rod failed at the depth
of the Caliche layer. They tell me that non-homogeneous soils
are problematic from an electrolysis standpoint. I was not able
to unscrew the other anchors for examination, so they were obviously
in much better shape than the one that failed. I replaced them all
anyway, and will probably replace them again in another few years.
The anchor that failed had been in the ground for 17 years.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ
K6LL@juno.com