[TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Failure

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Failure
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 22:48:36 -0500
I can't stay in a long thread, but some quick thoughts.

You generally can't have galvanic action unless something is
attached to the anchor that forms a circuit. INSULATE the anchor
from anything else, and by all means do not use it for a ground!

Zinc, as far as I recall, is only attacked by acids. If I was unsure of
my soil, I'd lime the soil around the anchor at install and the ground
right around it every few years.

With normal soils, even if the anchor has no coating, rust will
greatly slow down deterioration. The soil will hold the rust against
the anchor, and somewhat protect it. I can't imagine rotting an
anchor through unless the soil is very acidic or the anchor is
electrically connected to something that is acting like a wrong
polarity source.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com