[TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Failure

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Failure
From: ag0n@arrl.net (Gary McDuffie, Sr.)
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 22:03:21 -0700
On Tue, 2 Jan 2001 08:26:39 -0600, n4kg@juno.com wrote:

> Are you suggesting that the concrete be filled to above ground?
>
> Most (concrete) anchor designs in the Rohn catalog show them
> buried underground to obtain the additional holding power of the
> earth.  The concrete block provides a large surface area for the
> earth to adhere to.  The unprotected shaft has the same exposure
> to the earth above as a screw anchor shaft.

I was tempted to bring this up when I first saw where the discussion was
going.  Why is it that Rohn calls for buried anchors with shaft coming
up through the earth, when we routinely inspect to be sure that the
steel is FULLY out of the ground on commercial installations?  The
concrete must protrude from the ground, protecting the steel from being
exposed to continuous moisture of the earth.  If not, we have to dig out
around the anchors.  Blow dirt fills in around them with time.  Buried
anchors of this type are T shaped, with the top of the T deep in the
ground, and the bottom angled out with steel connecting rod.  If you
want pictures, I can provide them.

Gary

ag0n at arrl dot net
http://mcduffie.ws