[TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Failure

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Failure
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 08:26:39 -0600
On Tue, 02 Jan 2001  LYN Williams <designserv@ipass.net> writes:

> n4kg@juno.com wrote:

        SNIP

> > Proper size selection IS important!
> >
> It apparently WAS important, but my concern is that a larger size
> would only have delayed the danger until corrosion could do the
> deed.
>
> With an achor properly protected in concrete, I think corrosion
> would be retarded as compared to an anchor in direct contact with soil.
>
> Lyn, W4WDN

Are you suggesting that the concrete be filled to above ground?

Most (concrete) anchor designs in the Rohn catalog show them
buried underground to obtain the additional holding power of the
earth.  The concrete block provides a large surface area for the
earth to adhere to.  The unprotected shaft has the same exposure
to the earth above as a screw anchor shaft.

Tom  N4KG

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.