[TowerTalk] Rhombic vs. Yagi

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rhombic vs. Yagi
From: b_bradfield@yahoo.com (Brad Bradfield)
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 05:36:45 -0800 (PST)
Good morning y'all - -

I spent a couple years in the Navy in Long Beach in the very early
70's, and was probably 15 miles (the way the crow flies) from W6AM's
radio ranch out on Palos Verdes.  I was running the Naval Station club
station in my spare time where we had a Mosley Classic-36 at 100 feet
and a kilowatt.  I wasn't really a DX'er then (or now), but did work
some DX, and an occasional DX contest.  I discovered that the big game
amongst the DX'ers in that part of Southern California was to try and
beat Don out in the pileups.  Turns out sometimes you could and
sometimes you couldn't.  In the long run, I suspect Don's pileup
success was really not much better than anyone else's, but his antenna
farm was impressive.

73,

Brad, W5CGH