[TowerTalk] Tower concerns

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower concerns
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 00:00:08 EST
In a message dated 1/15/01 4:48:24 PM Pacific Standard Time, w8ik@subich.com
writes:

> How true ... I vividly remember a phone conversation with a tower vendor
>  (and regular advertiser on TowerTalk)

    Actually we don't have any advertisers, regular or otherwise. Business
owners who are TowerTalk subscribers are encouraged to post product and
service related info of interest to the rest of us.

>  in which I asked for 100 MPH specs
>  on his towers (both extended and retracted).  He completely refused to
>  provide the information unless I paid for a custom engineering study
>  (several hundred dollars for each tower I was considering)!

    DUH! What's your point? Of course running calculations for anything other
than minimum brochure specs is going to cost money - they just don't have
them sitting around in a folder. Windspeeds, exposure and loads vary with
each installation so they have to be calculated with that in mind. A
Professional Engineer has to sit down and spend an hour or two doing it and
these people don't come cheap.

    Being insulted when you want something for nothing and don't get it is a
typical ham reaction.

Cheers,    Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech