[TowerTalk] please advise on terminated vee beam design

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] please advise on terminated vee beam design
From: basalop@gte.net (Jim Berry)
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 19:09:11 -0800
Hi All interested,

> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] please advise on terminated vee
> beam design

There have been many comments by people who know a lot more
about this particular antenna then me.  The questions may have
already been answered, but here goes.

As far as termination resistors go, there is probably nothing
like having some.  Many folks don't.  Nichrome wire is quite easy
to come by.  Another source of wire that has resistance is good
old stainless wire used with wire feed welders.  Get out your DVM
and measure a foot of it.  I was also told by one guy that your can
make your own resistors for antenna work by taking a hunk of PVC
pipe, notch the ends, and wrap the wire end to end on the PVC.  This
is supposed to keep the resistor you just made, non-inductive.  I
told this to an OT and he just shook his head.  He said, somewhere,
on some freq, it is going to be inductive.  It is a thought though.

> Jim: Could you explain this a bit more.  It sounds
> interesting.  Is this a
> wire between the bottoms of the termination resistors
> laying on the ground
> between ground rods or what?

As I remember the drawing, the thing the writer of the
article had done, was run a wire between the two ground
posts.  I would assume this wire was buried just enough
so you would not trip over it.  What it probably did was
make the antenna easier to tune, and the idea was also was
to compensate for the ground changing over the seasons.

Does the antenna work?  It must have done it's thing the
best it could at the time.  Now days, I notice that most
sites that depend on HF communications, use sloping log
perodics, aimed in the favored direction.  Some even have
monster logs on towers.  But the wire log is another story
in itself.  It is something I would like to try, until I
look at my backyard.

73 Jim K7SLI

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----