[TowerTalk] 40m 4square - factors relating to gain

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 40m 4square - factors relating to gain
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 09:49:34 -0500
If you are comparing a 4 SQ with a good dipole (say up 50/60 feet) in the
dipole's broadside direction, you probably won't get an impression of a huge
difference in gain. You will be aware of  being able to discriminate (on the
4SQ) against a given loud signal on the dipole, however. But don't despair.
That directivity can  lessen the effect of undesired signals, both QRM and
QRN. That can account for better QSO's, copied at all, or copied correctly
the first time, and that's worth a lot in a contest.

But a 4 SQ is NOT a 4 element yagi. Don't expect a huge gain jump over a
dipole, which at height is a pretty decent antenna.

73, Guy