[TowerTalk] 40m 4square - factors relating to gain

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 40m 4square - factors relating to gain
From: w7why@harborside.com (Tom Osborne)
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 17:12:50 +0000

Dana Roode wrote:

> Towertalkans --
>
> I recently built a 40m 4 square from telescoping aluminum - 4 >ground mounted
> verticals, phased with a Comtek box.
> Question - what sort of difference should I expect to hear on >receive with
> the 4 square vs a single vertical (not in the >array)?  Im not seeing much
> apparent gain on most signals -

Hi Dana

I'm not too familiar with the 4 square, but I have 3 phased
verticals on 40 and when I switch them, it's just like rotating a
beam.  It is switchable in 6 different directions.  BC stations
to the N.E. can be 20db over S-9 and when I rotate it to the S.W.
the signal off the back of the array drops to S-6/7.  Same when I
transmit.  73
Tom W7WHY

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----