[TowerTalk] Are higher HF antenna's really better?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Are higher HF antenna's really better?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 22:44:17 EST
ke5rs@cox-internet.com writes:

> I have 100 feet of 45G tower and would like to put up a 36 boom Mosley
>  Pro-95 multi-band antenna.  I would like to find out how high I should put
>  the antenna in order to get the best performance out of it.

    First of all, the best height for Mosley antenna installation is in the
box on the floor of your garage. Apparently you haven't read the K7LXC and
N0AX tribander comparison report where we test 2-3 different Mosley
tribanders and they all underpreformed the competition. The report is
available from  <A HREF="http://www.championradio.com";>www.championradio.com
</A>

    Of course this is only my own personal documented opinion.

>  Is going from
>  80 feet (which would be easier take care of (guys, wind, climbing etc...)
>  100 feet gain anything at all worth while?

    It depends and it all has to do with takeoff and arrival angles. I'll let
N4KG and others chime in with their well documented research and experiences.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
Tower Tech
Champion Radio Products