[Towertalk] F12 C4XL or C4SXL Which to buy?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] F12 C4XL or C4SXL Which to buy?
From: jimsmith@shaw.ca (Jim Smith)
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 10:49:00 -0800
Well, thanks to all for your comments, both direct and here.

Some suggested I should go higher than the approx 50 ft and that the
larger antenna, the better.  I didn't describe the tower situation as I
didn't want to make my post too lengthy (I hate that misnomer
"bandwidth").  The tower is 25 ft (perhaps to become 30 ft) of unguyed
Rohn 25 sitting on a flat roof about 22 ft above ground.  The tower is
solidly attached to the wall of the penthouse which provides access to
the roof.  It is attached at the 10 inch, 4 ft and 6 ft 7 inch levels.
 The drywall on the interior of the penthouse walls was removed, the
structure was beefed up as only an anal retentive can do and the drywall
was replaced.  We recently had our strongest wind of 25 years, something
like 50-60 mph.  The top of the tower with TH3 and Ham M swayed maybe
1/2 inch.  No cracks in the interior drywall.

When I put something bigger up I will probably steady the top of the
tower with 4 dacron guys, whether or not I add 5 more ft of Rohn.  Why 5
ft?  I have a 5 ft section lying on the roof deck.  Why 4 guys?  Because
I can get better placement of the guys with 4 than with 3.

Anyway, I figure the smaller antenna will put less stress on the
somewhat unconventionally installed tower.

Someone suggested forget the antenna and get an amp.  With an antenna
I'll hear better.  With an amp I won't.  Also, TVI around here is barely
under control.  Not sure I can get away with using an amp.  Plus, I
still wouldn't have the presence on 40 that a 2 el beam will give me.

One major item is the need for something decent on 40 that I can erect.
 At the moment, I go to 40 for the few mults I can pick up and then
leave.  Would be nice to have another band to make Qs on, especially as
we slide down the cycle and particularly in domestic contests which I
also like.  The C4 should satisfy that nicely.

Someone suggested that, as I have obviously sold myself on the C4XSL, to
put it up and have fun.  Some people are very perceptive.

Some criticized the WARC band performance of the C4s.  I don't care.
 They are obviously better than what I have now, which is nothing, or
which I will be able to install with the present set up, which is still
nothing.  Besides, I'm a contester so WARC band operation will be
limited to casual DXing.  Thanks for telling me that North is South on
one of the bands.  You saved everyone the pain of listening to me crow
about all the long path stuff I've been working.

Lots of comments that either of them are excellent antennas.

So, thanks for your input everyone.  Looks like the SXL wins.  I will
run the numbers to make sure I'm not overloading the tower.

73 de Jim Smith    VE7FO