[Towertalk] Roof Tower stuff.... 2 by 4s, city, :(

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Roof Tower stuff.... 2 by 4s, city, :(
From: k3bz@arrl.net (Jerry Keller)
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 14:38:15 -0500
Jason.... with all due respect to Jon...I do a lot of stuff myself, and I
certainly share his conservatism about "Big Brother"...asking forgiveness is
frequently better and easier than asking permission! However, it's only
right that you get a little info on the other side of the coin. The permit
and inspection business is not just another way to tax the citizenry...
there are some solid engineering and insurance aspects as well.

A city or town is tasked by the general public to ensure that all
construction and structures in its jurisdiction at least meet a certain
standard for engineering practice. Carpenters, plumbers, electricians are
all licensed on the basis of doing work that meets that standard, or "code".
When we hire one of these professionals, we are entitled to rely on his work
meeting code. And (even if he doesn't have the foggiest notion in reality)
when the town engineer signs off on the permit after the job is complete,
he's certifying that the job meets code (but he's also relying on the
carpenter, plumber, or electrician's cert).

If there's a fire, for example, and it can be traced to non-code compliant
work, the insurance company may be hesitant to pay off. If your installation
doesn't meet code, and you have a visitor in your garage when the roof falls
in under the load of your tower, beam, and several snowstorms worth of
frozen water... the insurance company may be reluctant to pay your guest's
claim. Etc. Call it a sort of paranoia, but that's the kind of risk we pay
premiums to cover, isn't it?

This permit-code-inspection system is far from perfect, but the intention is
not only to ensure the relative safety of the homeowner who has the work
done, but also any future buyer of that property. When you buy a home, you
may have it inspected, but if you ask one of those guys he'll tell you (mine
did) that they RELY on the code. When you buy a property, you're entitled to
expect it meets code. And when you sell a property, you are (in most places)
certifying that it meets code to the best of your knowledge. I'm no lawyer
(I just play one here on the internet) but I think if you are damaged in
some way by someone's failure to observe these niceties, there would be some
recourse agaisnt those responsible. Even if there wasn't any legal recourse
to worry about, there is at least some moral obligation to meet the code
standards.

So, Jason, you can take out the permit, meet the code, pass the
inspection... or... do it yourself with your own level of expertise, and
take a chance that your actions today MIGHT result at some future time in
damage or injury to yourself, your family and friends, or somebody who buys
your place in future years. It's all in whether you have the expertise and
credentials to do it yourself, and what level of risk you are willing to
undertake. It's you that must decide what is the right thing to do. That's
the other side of the picture.

73,  Jerry K3BZ