[Towertalk] Roof Tower stuff.... 2 by 4s, city, :(

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Roof Tower stuff.... 2 by 4s, city, :(
From: zigm1975@alloymail.com (S. Markowski Jr.)
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 23:38:44 +0000
> "Trusses using 2x4's are quite strong when properly designed and used."

2" x 4"s used in a truss system are considered a "light-weight" truss
system.  They are usually designed to carry the minimum ice/snow load
calculated for the area where installed.(cheap to build and install, but
savings rarely carry down to the home buyer)  They are not forgiving when
uncalculated/designed loads are placed on them.  And if one truss fails,
they ALL fail in a collapse.  The advice of an engineer or truss
fabricator to come up with a possible fix/reinforcement(if one is
possible) is the best I've heard yet. I doubt it will be easy, nor
inexpensive to carry out.

I'm not a building construction expert, just looking at this with 25
years of firefighting experience.  Truss roofs collapses are amongst the
top causes of firefighter fatalities, along with the other components of
"light-weight" construction.

Good Luck and 73,
Zig KM9M