[Towertalk] Roof Tower stuff.... 2 by 4s, city, :(

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Roof Tower stuff.... 2 by 4s, city, :(
From: jhisson1@columbus.rr.com (Jason Hissong)
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 13:19:02 -0500
Hi Chris,

I talked with a guy that has done construction for years and he recommends
reinforcing the 2x4's by bolting 2x6's to the 2x4's (running the complete
length of the rafter) a piece of plywood would be between the 2 by 4 and the
2 by 6.  Liquid nails would be used between the plywood and the 2x4 and 2x6.
Then a stacked pair of 2 by 8s mounted underneath the 2x6s.  Long lag bolts
would extend from the base of the tower legs through to the 2x8s.  The
theory is, the weight/stresses would transfer throught the 2x8 to the 2x6
beams down to the walls.  I would be surprised if this would not be enough.
I would rather over engineer this.

The city accepts drawings by the homeowner.  It does not have to be
professionally done (although I will do my best anyway :)

Thanks again guys...

Jason Hissong