[Towertalk] RE: Topband: stripping enameled wire

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] RE: Topband: stripping enameled wire
From: n2tk@arrl.net (N2TK)
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 13:56:31 -0500
Lots of response to this question. Here is a summary since several asked for
any info I got to my question.
- Majority of responses were to use some kind of flame - match, torch.
- Some say to use emery cloth, fine sandpaper
- Some say use acetone
- Some say to use a knife.
- One said real men use their teeth to strip the wire.

I don't have acetone. But, I have a flame. I tried a match and a propane
flame on 3 different colors of small enameled wire that I have. The propane
torch worked the best. Just a second or two in the flame was enough. Wiped
off the residue and had a shiny copper wire to solder.
The match worked on the light brown colored enameled wire I had. But it did
nothing for the dark brown and reddish brown wire. Had to use the torch for
those.
I have no idea in regards to the relationship of the color of the enamel to
the type it is. Maybe someone knows if there is a relationship there.
The wires that I used the torch had the best coverage of solder when I
tinned them, compared to using a knife, emery cloth or sandpaper. Probably
if I spend more time with these other methods it would solder just fine, but
the torch is easy and quick.
No, I didn't try to use my teeth.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Tony