[Towertalk] Re: Topband: stripping enameled wire

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Re: Topband: stripping enameled wire
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L Martin)
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 07:10:54 -0600
Thanks for bringing this subject up.

For seven or eight of my 34 years with NASA, I was a flight certified
solderer (electronics technician) building stuff to fly on the shuttle
orbiters--some of my stuff is still flying.

I'd looked arund the 'net for our 'bible', but never could find it...till
now...

Want to find out the proper way to solder?  Read this:

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/codeq/sldrbch1.pdf

I had to attend a week-long school to become certified to solder flight
hardware.  The challenge in class was to not to solder connections that
looked great under the flourescent tube-ringed magnifying glass that you
used to make the solder connection, but to solder connections that looked
great to the instructor who used a microscope to analyze the joint.

A bit of trivia: Tom/K5RC was a flight soldering school instructor for
Lockheed--they conducted the school for NASA and the contractors.

73,
dale, kg5u