[Towertalk] Coax

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Coax
From: fclarke@erols.com (fclarke)
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 22:26:50 -0500
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the clarification!  In the installations I referred to, the
RG-17 was
strapped to a 120 foot wooden pole with cable straps, so the gravity
explanation
seems right on.  This was a professional (well, sort of, it was a
government cable
crew) installation. As the problem seemed to be common all over the
base, the decision
was made to replace all RG-17 with Andrews Heliax and the problem went
away!  Again, all
the installations were vertical where the problem appeared.

Thinking back on it, the horizontal runs (underground in conduit) to the
HF Conical
monopole antennas never had the problem.  They still use -17, but are
scheduled for
replacement in the Spring, due to the relocation of the HF transmitter
house.

Tnx 73 de Tom/W4OKW