[TowerTalk] Balun filler

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Balun filler
From: W4EF@dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Fri Jul 11 21:31:56 2003
The type 77 material is notorious for having a poor loss
tangent, hence the 60 deg phase angle. Type 61 material
is much better, but the mu is much lower so you need
bocque beads to get the same series impedance as with
type 77. One design worth looking at is WX0B's 1:1 balun.
He winds RG-142 on a large torroid and puts it in a plastic
box. With this method you get a lot more inductance per
pound of ferrite as compared to the beads, so you can use
a lower mu material with better loss characteristics than
type 77. It would be interesting to measure the choking Z
of Jay's balun and compare it with one of those type 77
bead baluns.