[TowerTalk] RE: Rxing on the low bands

Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: Rxing on the low bands
From: "Jim White, K4OJ" <k4oj@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 16:31:45 -0500
This past weekend was a first for me...I had used receive antennas at other contest stations but never really implemented a real one before.

We had a real beverage for the first time at our multi-op... I have kinda last minute laid one on the ground etc in the past in the hours before a contest but this past weekend several of the ops went out into a distant field and strung up a full fledged beverage, data on them is all over the web....

It was fed with lightweight 75 ohm coax and went into a t-connector in the shack where it was shared by 80 and 160 meters - each band had an old Ameco preamp and from there the output went in the rx antenna socket of an ft1000mp

On Sunday night as things were winding down I went into the shack to see if there was going to be any last minute stuff to be worked on 80, the 80 meter op was in the second chair on 15 meters - when I sat down at the transceiver at about 2200Z and tuned the knob I heard NO stations in the contest... when I switched to the beverage I heard over a dozen European stations without strain - on what last year would have been a dead band... I even called one who worked me on the first call! Granted it was a well equipped Euro multi-op but the point is that I am certain our score on 80 and 160 would have much less without the one beverage.

Before the next contest I hope to explore multiple short vertical arrays and also add more beverages in other direction to our arsenal!

It DOES make a difference!

73,

Jim, K4OJ
Team W1CW