Re: [TowerTalk] Re: One more ground radial question

To: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>, "Tom Champlin" <w0hh@msn.com>,"Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: One more ground radial question
From: "Paul Playford" <w8aef@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 23:19:50 -0000
One of my co-workers at RCA Broadcast claimed to have been part of the group
that helped determine the optimum number of radials for a (am broadcast)
vertical antenna.

He told me they placed their receiver and antenna (field strength meter) on
the ground about 50 miles from the transmitter antenna, observed the signal
strength of the radiated signal and then the crew at the transmitter would
double the number of radials.  They repeated this until no improvement was
noted, then backed down to the previous number for optimum.

And they ended up with 60 buried, 1/4 wavelength radials.

These experiments were conducted in New Jersey.

Don't ask me for confirmation as he passed away a couple of years ago, so
just treat this as a rumor.

de Paul, W8AEF

ZF2TA  ZF2JI FO8DX  FO0PLA  8Q7AA  XZ0A