Re: [TowerTalk] New? Cable

To: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] New? Cable
From: "James C. Hall, MD" <nwtcc@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 14:17:15 -0600
Hello Jim, Gene and gang:

I've been reading this thread with much interest. I have used all the mentioned cables and I have a few observations. My HF tower is about 150 ft. from the shack. I use LMR-600 for the long run from the SPG panel (mounted in the garage) to the "dog house" box next to the tower. I use Bury-Flex for the runs up the tower and in close to the rigs. Of course LMR-600 is a special case where you have to use a VERY expensive crimping tool for the connector - I borrowed one from the local guy (also a ham) who puts up cell towers and uses a ton of this stuff ! I also have a short tower (about 120 ft. from shack) for satellite operation and I use both LMR-400 and the Ultraflex variant - primarily for loss considerations on these frequencies at this distance. All are excellent cables. I used the UF variant from the mast-mounted preamp to the antenna as they rotate and elevate. Connectors whether N or PL259's are all soldered. They go on great with the Bury-Flex and the LMR-400 but they are much tougher to get on the UF variant. I end up having to hyper-twist the center conductor and file it down to be able to fit inside the center conductor barrel of the connector. If I had to do it all over again, I would forget the UF stuff and use Bury-Flex, which is very low loss even at UHF frequencies. I would still use the solid center conductor LMR-400 for the longer straight(er) runs.

My 2 cents.

73 & Happy Hollidays,

Jamie
WB4YDL