Re: [TowerTalk] Tower VS aeroplane suit dropped....

To: "K4SB" <k4sb@bellsouth.net>,"Tower Talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower VS aeroplane suit dropped....
From: "AA6DX" <aa6dx@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:20:40 -0700
Well, I was actually meaning ... who would pay for the damage to your tower
system .. not the aeroplane!  I would assume, for this discussion, the ham
was in the right.  Was thinking of a plane ... with problems .. dead stick,
or pilot drunk, or error, or mechanical failure.   As an interesting aside
... my home in North Pole, AK ... actually a "burb" of Fairbanks ... was on
a airstrip!  The front door of the house faced the airport, and
kitty-wumpus, about 100 yards away or so, was a float pond ... where the
planes with pontoons did their thing during the warmer months ... wheels
were used on the airstrip, but from Nov thru May, it was skis ... or, maybe,
tundra tires.     Anyway, the hangar slash hangout for the folks using the
airstrip was just across the way from me.   I went over, introduced myself,
and pointed out where I wanted to erect my 7Ø' plus tower with a Mosely 5 el
mono 2ØM beam on it .. closer to the runway than the 6Ø' w/6 el 1ØM Wilson
mono on it .. and... one and all... they said  GREAT!   It was a touchdown
point, and it rose above the seasonal ubiquitous (at times) severe ground
fog, and I never got a complaint, just kudos, for the 1 1/2 yrs. I was there
after it was up.   Now, as to what the FAA would have said, who knows?
There were probably on and off about fifty users of the strip.  More in the
summer....
Just an aside.... cheers, Mark     AA6DX   Hammin' for 4Ø years ...
Eureka, Far Northern California  (Behind the Redwood Curtain)