Re: [TowerTalk] Tower VS aeroplane

To: Tower Talk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower VS aeroplane
From: K4SB <k4sb@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 20:24:40 +0000

RICHARD BOYD wrote:

> I used to fly Cessnas from our local air field, don't any more
> unfortunately, but for years I have observed small aircraft that I am
> convinced are below the 500-foot minimum permissible height "over
> unpopulated areas."  There have been rare occasions when I have seen them
> not more than 50-100' (my estimate, granted) above our treetops, which are
> 120' (tulip poplars, which can get as tall as 150' and I've seen some of
> those within 15 minutes of here, in Maryland)

I doubt Rich's estimates are off very much at all. It happens all the
time. But, it is illegal, and if you can get a tail number, then call
the FAA, the pilot is in for a citation.

> Then there is the ambiguity of "over unpopulated areas."  If I live here is
> it unpopulated?  What density per square mile constitutes "unpopulated?"  I
> live in a lower density part of a densely populated county, but the argument
> could be made that there is nowhere in this county that is "unpopulated."
> Or, if he flies over my backyard, 200' behind my house, is that
> "unpopulated," but directly over my house is "populated?"

It is well defined by the military. 200" behind your house is not an
"unpopulated" area.
1000 feet behind your house is not an "unpopulated" area. An
unpopulated area is exactly that. NO population. And if you think they
don't exist, you should try the canyons of
West ( by God ) Virginia.

> Then there's the matter of helicopters.  My understanding is that they can
> legally skim the treetops but are responsible for missing any objects.

No, they are subject to the same rules, and "tree skimming" is just as
illegal in a helicopter as a Piper Cub. The thing of it is, no one
gets the number, or if they do, don't know who to call.

When I was living in Powder Springs, GA, ( about 8 miles west of
Dobbins AFB ) I had a
F-15 do a trick like that. ( probably no more than 100' at the most )
Problem was he was so damn close, I could clearly see the squadron
insignia, and got the last 2 letters
of the aircraft. I made a call to the Dobbins Safety Officer, asked
for an appointment, and 30 mins later, had him filed a complaint under
the UCMJ. The pilot was identified, given a summary court martial, and
grounded for 30 days.

And of course, when I was "bright eyed and bushy tailed" at Oceana
NAS, I was dating a
YL who worked at a swimming pool in NC as a lifeguard.
Sooooooooooo...one fine Saturday morning, I made a pass over the pool
and did a complete 360 degree roll. Then I got the hell out of there.

On Monday morning, my squadron skipper gave an "all pilots" lecture on
the severe penalties of "flathatting". I fully expected to be executed
on the spot. But, the timing was coincidental.

):>
Ed