Re: [TowerTalk] Tower VS aeroplane suit dropped....

To: "Tower Talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>,"K4SB" <k4sb@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower VS aeroplane suit dropped....
From: "RICHARD BOYD" <ke3q@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:45:21 -0400
I used to fly Cessnas from our local air field, don't any more
unfortunately, but for years I have observed small aircraft that I am
convinced are below the 500-foot minimum permissible height "over
unpopulated areas."  There have been rare occasions when I have seen them
not more than 50-100' (my estimate, granted) above our treetops, which are
120' (tulip poplars, which can get as tall as 150' and I've seen some of
those within 15 minutes of here, in Maryland)  Most, though, I estimate in
the 200-300' range, the lower ones I see, and see quite often.  Granted,
maybe my estimate is wrong and they really are 500' or higher, but I have my
doubts.  The wingspan of a Cessna 150/152 is 38' as I recall, so I look at
that, and gauge it versus the 36' boom 10M antenna I have at 160', etc, and
ask myself, "What does 38' look like at 200'?  At 300'?  At 400'?"  Etc.

Then there is the ambiguity of "over unpopulated areas."  If I live here is
it unpopulated?  What density per square mile constitutes "unpopulated?"  I
live in a lower density part of a densely populated county, but the argument
could be made that there is nowhere in this county that is "unpopulated."
Or, if he flies over my backyard, 200' behind my house, is that
"unpopulated," but directly over my house is "populated?"  I don't know that
this has ever been defined.

Then there's the matter of helicopters.  My understanding is that they can
legally skim the treetops but are responsible for missing any objects.
Local ordinances may deal with "nuisances," like when several helicopters
buzz the backyard of celebrities to get "papparazzi" photos of their
wedding.  It would be pretty annoying to have a helicopter hovering over my
backyard at a couple hundred feet when I'm trying to relax.  Transient
flying is generally acceptable, I suppose.  Still, I worry about whether one
of those helicopters is sometime going to run into a tower or antenna of
mine.  Likewise, the small fixed wing aircraft that fly low.  I am skeptical
that they are above 500' much of the time.  If so, they're fine and us ham
tower/antenna owners are fine.  I don't perceive any enforcement of the 500'
limit.  As I recall, the limit is 1,000' over "populated areas."

On the "sandblowers," I've been in the duck blind when a couple A-10s come
over at 50-100'!  They get you attention!  Our hunting/fishing club is just
the other side of the Chesapeake Bay from the Patuxent River Naval Air
Station, halfway to Dover AFB if that has a bearing, and in a military
flight training area.

73 - Rich, KE3Q