Re: [TowerTalk] Mystery Hy-Gain tribander

To: AA6DX <aa6dx@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mystery Hy-Gain tribander
From: "Alan C. Zack" <k7acz@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:52:24 -0700
Mark,
I have to disagree with you.  Below is the direct quote from the Mosley web site
FAQ page:
http://www.mosley-electronics.com/faq.htm
Besides my using a Mosley at home they were used at most of the Coast Guard
LORAN stations at Kure, Wake, Johnston, Yap, Marcus, Palau, etc, etc. where I
would operate from.

FEED SYSTEMS - THE SIMPLER, THE BETTER!
        Despite popular belief, linear radiators, normally employed in 2 and 3
element
        parasitic arrays, have a driving point impedance of close to 52 ohms
when open at
        the center. To feed such a radiator it is only necessary to connect a 52
ohm line at
        this point to achieve the best possible match of line to antenna.

        However, because of certain design characteristics, some beam antennas
require
        elaborate and, sometime, unstable matching devices such as Gamma or
T-Match
        systems or variations of these systems. Such devices are usually
difficult to adjust
        and to maintain in adjustment when used in multi-band beams.

        MOSLEY TRAP MASTER beams, however, are so designed as to not require
        any unwieldy matching arrangements. This beam is fed by connecting the
line
        directly to the open center of the radiator. Thus, an excellent match is
achieved
        over the entire width of each Ham band resulting in extremely low SWR
near
        resonant frequencies of each band and the ability to range from one end
of the
        band to the other without excessive SWR.

        By eliminating such matching devices, MOSLEY TRAP MASTER beams provide
        their users with stable and dependable operation without the necessity
of frequent
        trips to the roof or up the tower to make readjustment.

As I stated previously my Mosley was designed to connect a split lead coax
directly to the driven element but I decided to use a 1:1 balun.

AA6DX wrote:

> The Mosely yagis often are(?)/were capacitive fed ... their "Classic"
> series.  No hard wired connection to the driven element. That created an
> "unusual" situation, where the driven element is longer than the reflector!
> Defeating a Classic system by connecting the coaxial cable directly to the
> driven would be a no-no, as would any other means of feeding, without proper
> engineering.   Note .. no all Mosely's are/were "Classic" .. I have had
> several that were, including my 2ØM monobander, w/46' boom ... worky
> worky...   and, at one time, a Classic 36   .. Mark----  AA6DX

 Alan Zack
 Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
 Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
 Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired
 SEMPER PARATUS
 http://www.gocoastguard.com/