Re: [TowerTalk] Portable tower info

To: "Bryan" <w5kft@nts-online.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Portable tower info
From: "J.Hector Garcia M" <Hector@telecom1.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 02:13:18 -0700
Bryan:

after read you post here, i have some experiences to share, in  the time i
was working in the 2way radio bussines i help several off road racing teams
to have a portable  control station that provide larger coverage that a
simple 5/8 mobil ant , this station used most of the times in a  trailer
where the racing car is moved,  most of the time i must think in advance to
solve the possibility of this people that sometimes don't use the correct
side of the brain , talking specific of the support team or a helper that
sometimes delay more that help,  after this i leave all ready , the  minimum
risk of an error for the mounting and deploy of the mast, i use most of the
time radio shack mast 40-50 ft  mounted at one side of the trailer with a
bolt in the botom of the bigger pipe, and another bolt where i secure the
smallest pipe, most of the trailers have 13-17 ft long , the mast fit no
problem and cause no interference to the car.  when erecting the  mast all
leng and secured with the lock-bolt   is no big problem for  2 guys or one
very strong, because the antena is a ringo or a 17 ft fiberglas  , not  much
load   to raise  in the way i do,  the mast is always attached to the
trailer and when is vertical is  bolted to one of the vertical pipes  of the
tires carrier,  in this way the mast can stay with no problem at some wind
10-15  mph,   and is very fast to install and desinstall,  a few minutes
when you have some practice and one helper.

for the use you have in mind the  th-3 is  not a big antenna but is a little
heavier than a a3, or a th3 jr,  i use this class of antenas in 4 islands
and the maximum heigt is 24 ft  with very good results, using just 3 guy
wires (dacron), for that reason i think you must want to have the oportunity
to put a 40m inv V, for that reason will be nice 30-40 ft .

if you have some budget or  the time to get cheap pipes  here is another of
the things i use,  after take a good luck to the products of themastco. the
mast company, i buy 2 aluminum  pipes 12ft each 1 7/8 .125 wall , cut in 4
ft  pieces  (6 in total)  easy to transport in my car's trunck add a
internal  8 inch 1 5/8  .120 wall pipe 4 inside and 4 outside, put some
rivets and i get my portable very easy to support a tribander , with this
you don't need a trailer, just a point of support and 3 possible anchors,
easy to transport and easy to install,  i can sugest if you want to leave
ready to be installed  for one person, you can get a aluminum or steel plate
1/4 inch  24''x 24'' where you put a vertical pipe or angle 2''x2'' 3-4 ft
long welded , close to the end of the plate where you can put a u bolt to
tide the mast when is vertical  , of couser your car tire must be over the
other 20 inch  of the plate,
_/___/______/
/      /I           /
00__I

here the idea,  all the past are cheap, if you have some budget,  like other
recomend a small boat trailer can be good,  2 sections crank up tower, also
can get 3 sections of mexican steel tower very light, from  el paso
communications,  they sell cheap tower very light that solve all your need
for a small , light , easy to install and erect  tower, with a proper
preparation you can use your trailer like  base/transportation /anchor of
the tower.

that are just past experiences and ideas to save money and time in case i
need  something like you are looking, here where i live are not much
oportunity to get boat trailers or just mast or towers,  for that reason i
recomend a good aluminum pipes or steel   to make your portable mast if the
rohn/radioshack 40 ft don't work for you.

good luck , i hope this help .

Hector  XE2K/XF1K