Re: [TowerTalk] Portable tower info

To: Tower-Talk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Portable tower info
From: Fred Roberts <w6tkv@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 13:35:25 -0700
Bryan-

Our club has put up a lot of Field Day antennas over the years, and they
always seem to require several people to raise them.

What I used on my RV might work well for you.  It was a 22' length of 2"
diameter "top rail" which rested on the roof - one end on a block of
wood with a notch in it, the other end resting on a 5" rubber wheel (a
lawn mower wheel) contained between a pair of 2"x6" boards.  There was
also a long bolt running through the two 2"x6" boards and it was located
so as to capture the top rail while it was horizontal and also while it
was vertical (if you sketch this, you will quickly see the bolt has to
be behind and above the wheel to achieve containment).

With the scheme, I was able to connect an R7 (28' long) to the top rail
and get it vertical all by myself and be on the air within 20 minutes.
An R7 or similar antenna would give you 10M-40M - and as you know 40M is
frequently a band of choice.

I guess the central thought is that an emergency antenna really has to
be something that can be quickly erected by one person.

I took some pictures of my RV-R7 "erecting cycle", and if it would be of
help to you, I would be willing to dig them out from where ever they may
be hiding and make some copies for you.