RE: [TowerTalk] 600 Ohm Line

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] 600 Ohm Line
From: "Daron J. Wilson" <daron@wilson.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:23:03 -0700
Actually....the characteristic impedance of the phone wire is more like
100 ohms.  The overall circuit impedance should be at about 600ohms when
terminated and drawing current.  The reason the loading coils are added
to the cabling is the increase in capacitance in the line as it is
extended miles out there.  The inductance of the loading coil balances
out the high capacitance to keep the circuit impedance at a workable
level.

I think...

N7HQR

Daron J. Wilson, RCDD          ) )
Telecom Manager               ( (
LH Morris Electric, Inc.       ) )
(541) 265-8067 office       _|****|  mmm!
(541) 265-7652 fax         ( |    |  coffee!
(541) 270-5886 cellular     \|    |
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com    |____|