Re: [TowerTalk] 600 Ohm Line

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 600 Ohm Line
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:00:39 -0500
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:15:34 -0700, Jim Lux wrote:

>Or, more properly, the adaptive equalizer in the modem had better
>compensate for the eternally changing lumps and bumps in the circuit, and
>not assume anything about the actual impedance (which probably varies
>widely with frequency over the more than decade frequency range).

Yes. That's the modern equivalent of the passive equalizers both in the line
driver and
line receiver. But the modem MUST be doing its best to match the Z of the line
-- the
closer it gets to that ideal the less will be the response problems caused by
mis-
termination.

>   In the phone world, I don't think optimum power transfer (in the
>Thevenin sense) is really the issue.  You've usually got as much signal
>power as you need (although, this is why 56K modems don't really go 56K on
>a POTS wire... The Part 68(?) limits on Tx power).  It's things like group
>delay and differential effects that bite you.

Agreed. The impedance matching is ONLY to keep the transmission line behavior
of
the circuit under control.

>That, and the 2wire to 4wire "hybrid" function (that modem has to separate
>the Rx and Tx signals somehow, and it certainly can't depend on there being
>a nice 600 ohm resistive impedance for a hybrid to look into).  At the CO
>end, they have a similar problem related to echo suppression.

I haven't designed any hybrids, but Circuit Analysis 101 says that if you want
the
hybrid to work and be stable, the circuit gains have to be well behaved, which
in turn
says you want the impedance to be a well-behaved function. All of which points
getting as close as possible to a well matched and terminated line.

>From my limited perspective, the biggest obstacles I see with this are 1) the
impedance of the cables used was never a controlled parameter (or at least not
the extent needed for high speed data; 2) noise; and 3) losses in the cable
above
baseband were never a specified parameter. My hat is off to the guys who manage
to make high speed data work on a typical subscriber loop!

Jim Brown  K9YC