RE: [TowerTalk] Grounding, Lightning & corona discharge

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Grounding, Lightning & corona discharge
From: "Keith Dutson" <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:11:34 -0500
>I have seen those pulses carried by 12ga copper wire with no visible
damage.  Put that same 12ga wire across a battery and in milliseconds it is
melted.

That's simple physics.  Move a lot of electrons along a conductor and get a
lot of heat caused by orbital transfer from atom to atom.  For DC, this heat
continues to build as long as current flows.  For a short duration
(microseconds), the heat raises the temperature of the wire just enough to
allow dissipation by radiation (cooling).  Change to long duration
(milliseconds) and the accumulated heat raises the temperature to the
melting point.  That black stuff that is usually found after the melt is
actually oxide formed when melted metal combines with air. :)

Keith