RE: [TowerTalk] Grounding, Lightning & corona discharge

To: "'Tower Talk List'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Grounding, Lightning & corona discharge
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 20:43:42 -0000
Lightning is a complex waveform.  Typical rise times can be 1-2
microseconds with tails that decay from 10 to 100's of microseconds.  A
sine wave with a 1 microsecond rise time (1/4 of the cycle) would be
4MHz, significant frequency components obviously go well above that but
get weaker as you go up.  As a quick example compare the strength of
static from a thunderstorm say 50 miles away... the noise on 80m will be
much louder than on 10m and up into the vhf bands it gets progressively
weaker.

However!  Lightning can have a significant dc component also.  As in the
stroke that w8ji commented on that melted coax shields and other wires
and magnetized CRTs.  Large positive strokes can have peak currents of
100-300ka.  But even worse, the tail of the stroke can last milliseconds
at levels of hundreds of amps.  These are the strokes that burn down
power line shield wires, melt holes in steel, and do all sorts of nasty
things.  To point out the difference between the potential power of
these strokes consider this... where I work we have a pulse generator
that can put out 30-40ka pulses a few microseconds long, we use it for
testing insulators, soil characteristics, lightning arresters, and other
odd things... I have seen those pulses carried by 12ga copper wire with
no visible damage.  Put that same 12ga wire across a battery and in
milliseconds it is melted.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net