[TowerTalk] New antenna system

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] New antenna system
From: Rob Santello <K6DQ@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 02:10:20 -0800
Hello all,

I'm new to the list. I originally sent this to the Force 12 list and it was suggested that I send it here for all you to see and send comments or suggestions you'd like. Here is my original message:

Would like opinions and advice,

I am going to put up an LM-354 54 foot tower on a relatively small lot. At first I was thinking about going with an XR-5 and EF-606 with my old Cushcraft 11 element 2m beam on the top. But after 4 or 5 attempts to talk with a tech at Force 12 (never returned my calls), I'm thinking about going a different route. Here is my current plan: I have a 12 foot mast and I'll put 3 feet of it into the tower into a Tailtwister. Right on top of the tower I'll mount a 3 element SteppIR (They returned my call within an hour). So that now leaves about 8 feet of mast. At the top I want either a Cushcraft D40 or Force 12 EF-140. Both seem to be nearly identical in size, weight, performance, and price. Anyone know which is the better antenna here? Then somewhere in between, I'll mount the 11 element 2m beam. I'm thinking the 2m beam wont interfere too badly in the middle. Probably about 5 feet above the SteppIR and 3 feet below the 40m dipole. Does this sound reasonable? That setup will give me 40 - 2 meters. I'm not an "antenna guy" so that's why I'm looking for help here. I just want to get the most I can get in this small space. Thanks in advance for any thoughts and/or advice! I'd really appreciate it!
--rob--