RE: [TowerTalk] New antenna system

To: "'4x1ad'" <4x1ad@iarc.org>,"'TowerTalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] New antenna system
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 23:03:14 -0500

> I can agree with most of your remarks excepting one : "the
> boom length has been compromised slightly". I don't think
> that "slightly" is the right word in this case.

"Slightly" is most certainly the right word.

If one were designing for > 20 dB F/R on 10 meters, a four element
antenna would have a 24 to 26 foot boom.  The four element SteppIR
uses a 32 foot boom ... it maintains 20 dB F/R through 12 meters.
However, it also achieves about 1 dB better forward gain through
all of 13.9 - 30 MHz than would have been possible with the shorter
boom.

Similarly, if one were designing a three element antenna for 20 dB
F/R it would have a 12 foot boom.  As it is, the three element
SteppIR trades about 5 dB F/R on 12 and 9 dB F/R on 10 for an
additional .5 to .7 dB gain across the operating range.  That
seems to be a good tradeoff ... since the measured F/R of 15 dB
on 10 is in the same ballpark F/B measurements for any of the
tribanders tested by K7LXC and N0AX in the HF Tribander report
(using the same test protocol).

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK