Re: [TowerTalk] polyrod

To: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>,"Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>,"Roger K8RI on Tower" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>,"RICHARD BOYD" <ke3q@msn.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Ken Claerbout" <K4ZW@Staffnet.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] polyrod
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 09:31:51 -0700
It gets pretty complex, pretty quick, when you start looking at the
properties of angled catenaries.  I was trying to write some simple(!)
routines to generate catenary curves for various cases.  Turns out there's a
huge literature out there with all manner of analytical solutions, but I
think the upshot is that you wind up modeling the line as a series of short
ideal tension segments with pin (freely pivoting) joint ends.  No matter how
you skin it, catenary curves are a quite nonlinear spring, considered in
terms of the tension from the ends.
Fh = w / (8*h) * (S^2 - 4*h^2) << tension in horizontal catenary, given
weight per unit length(w), length of wire(S), and sag(h)

Start putting dynamic loads, or uneven wind loads, or the weight of
insulators, etc. into the picture, and it gets really complex.