Re: [TowerTalk] Bicep Cramping

To: Tom Anderson <WW5L@gte.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bicep Cramping
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 16:55:47 -0400
Mike, I used to play a lot of tennis and perspired profusely.  My cramps
were so severe, usually after a match in hot, humid weather, that I
would be literally immobilized in bed with cramps from head to foot.  I
was effectively paralyzed and in great pain for 20-30 minutes on the
most severe occasions.

I tried the sports drinks, salt tabs and potassium.  I stopped the
potassium when my physician observed the signature high potassium in my
electrocardiogram.  The only thing that worked for me was calcium.  At
the time I used bone meal, but you're better off with calcium citrate
because the lead level in bone meal can be high.  One time when I had no
bone meal and I felt the cramps coming on after a match, I swigged down
almost a quart of milk, which nipped them in the bud.

Like Tom below, I now use a swig of tonic (sans booze) twice a day to
prevent leg, hand and chest cramps.  (I seem to be unusually
susceptible; more so than anyone I've ever known.  There are articles in
the medical journals supporting the use of quinine.  In fact, I can send
you one if you're interested.  No one seems to know why it works, but it
does.

73 and give my best to Ann and Jay.

Joe
K2XX