Re: [TowerTalk] rugged 6 meter beam ?

To: Joe - WD0M <wd0m@centurytel.net>,Tom Sessions <RADIO_K4RV@peoplepc.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] rugged 6 meter beam ?
From: Bill Aycock <baycock@direcway.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 16:02:12 -0500
NOT a recommendation, just some experience.
When I first got 6M capability (AN FT-920), I got the first readily
available beam I found, a three element Yagi from MFJ. It is a good,
simple, well made Yagi, and works well, for a three element Beam.
At present, the reflector droops about 20 degrees, the driven element
droops about half that, and the director is reasonably straight. (This is
after about 4 years) The droop is the result of a very evenly distributed
Ice coat from an ice storm during its first winter. Apparently the ice was
quite consistent and just the amount to bend the driven element and
reflector, but not the director. It still works quite well.
An operational observation- I am leery of too much directivity on six. With
the band open, I have worked Argentina ; but too much focus makes it hard
to hear in all directions for local net sessions, or for "Scouting around"
for openings.  A few miles to my south, there are two guys with 7 element
beams; they have a HARD time on the net. Even my 3-el has to be moved if a
weak station is on (or one of those 7el guys is aimed a little off.)
I'm about to add a vertical for just that reason, but I'll keep my droopy
Yagi.
Think about it. Good luck- Bill-W4BSG

At 06:55 AM 7/5/2005 -0600, Joe - WD0M wrote:

>I used to have a Cushcraft 5 element 6M beam atop
>the tower in Alaska.  It withstood 125 mph winds,
>-40 temperatures, 3 inches of ice, and I worked
>all states in 30 days.  I've since moved to CO
>and now run the SteppIR 4 element with 2 passive
>6M elements.  It too has withstood about 3 inches
>of ice over the tinter, and temps of -25.  I've
>worked 40 states, but its taken 14 months to get there.
>
>73,
>Joe
>WDØM
>
>At 05:20 AM 7/5/2005, Tom Sessions wrote:
> >Who makes thre most rugged 6 meter beam these days?
> >
> >I am ready to purchase a 6 meter beam and install it at the top of my tower.
> >I'm looking for the beam that is most likely to weather ice and wind, and
> >endure the weight of large birds as I don't want to frequently climb all the
> >way back up and take it down for repair.
> >
> >All opinions welcome.  Experienced users most appreciated.
> >
> >Thanks / 73
> >Tom K4RV

Bill Aycock - W4BSG
Woodville, Alabama