Re: [TowerTalk] mast weight on the rotor or thrust bearing?

To: "Dan Zimmerman N3OX" <n3ox@n3ox.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] mast weight on the rotor or thrust bearing?
From: "John E. Cleeve" <g3jvc@jcleeve.idps.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 11:10:11 -0000
Hello Dan,
That is exactly what I have done to my Strumech P60 tower. At the top of the
head unit I have fitted a roller bearing which has a two inch bore, the
bearing came from the back axle/wheel hub of a large truck. The two inch OD
yagi support shaft passes through the bore of the bearing, with a collar on
the yagi side, to transfer the weight of the antenna assembly to the inner
of the bearing and thus via the bearing rollers, to the head unit of the
tower. The rotor drive is then taken via a six inch diameter,  flexible
rubber "doughnut" coupler, which in another life coupled the transmission
drive shaft to the rear differential assembly of a Triumph sports car, and
the rotor itself, is a worm drive Italian job. The rubber doughnut flexible
coupler does a great job in absorbing the initial mechanical shock of
gusting wind conditions, which I have found, in the past, eventually
strips/breaks the teeth of the conventional spur geared
rotators..........sincerely, John G3JVC.