[TowerTalk] Overlapping or soldered radials for 4 Square?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Overlapping or soldered radials for 4 Square?
From: "Tonno Vahk" <tonno.vahk@mail.ee>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 22:01:14 +0200
Hi,

I have got my full size 1/4 wl aluminium tubing 160m 4 Square up and running
with Comtek hybrid coupler. I use basically ground mounted verticals
(isolator about 1m from ground) and intend to put down ca 64 ground mounted
radials per each vertical.

Does someone have an opinion about if I should:

1. use one common "buss line" inside the square (in cross shape) and solder
all the connecting radials there cutting them to exact length till buss line
or

2. Put down 1/4wl radials to each direction letting them overlap inside the
square and not worry about connections?

I tend to prefer the latter for the ease on installation and connect those
radials that are exactly from one vertical to another to both verticals thus
connecting the ground screens by them.

Will soon send some links to pictures also and some test results. Have
almost had no time to test it yet but it does play great as expected!:)

73
Tonno
ES5TV