Re: [TowerTalk] mast weight on the rotor or thrust bearing?

To: towertalk@contesting.com, wc1m@msn.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] mast weight on the rotor or thrust bearing?
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 09:08:39 EST

In a message dated 11/18/2006 9:01:54 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>  I'll have a 40-2CD on the mast just above the top plate. The  top plate
will
have a TB-3 thrust bearings, and there will be another TB-3  thrust bearing
on a shelf between the top plate and rotor shelf. As is  common practice, the
second bearing is there to facilitate  removal/replacement of the rotor, so
its screws won't be tightened against  the mast during normal operation. The
rotor will be a  Tailtwister.

>  My question is this: should the full weight of  the mast and antenna be
place
on the rotor or top thrust bearing? If I put  the weight on the rotor, then
I'll have to jack the mast up a bit to remove  the rotor, whereas if I put
the weight on the thrust bearing I can remove  the rotor without raising the
mast. But it seems to me that it may not be  such a great idea to have the
weight of the antenna and mast supported only  by the three screws in the top
thrust bearing. What's the general consensus  on this?

    Rotators are designed to have some load on them  to seat the bearings. In
the case of the M2 Orion, all of the weight should be  on the rotator. With
other rotators, typical ham loads are well within their  vertical load
capacities.

    I have installed some systems where the weight was  taken by the thrust
bearing and am not aware of any rash of failures so  practically speaking it
sounds like you could go either way without any  problem.

>  If the answer is to put the weight on the rotor,  then it seems to me that
I'll have to do the final adjustment of the  bearing screws after installing
the 40-2CD, not when I install the mast. In  other words, after installing
the antenna, I'll have to loosen the bearing  screws so that the extra weight
of the antenna is transferred to the rotor.  Is that right?

If you've already got the weight of the  mast alone on the rotator, that's
probably enough. But I don't think anything  you do will cause a fatal problem.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH