Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Coax Support Sleeve

To: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>,TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Coax Support Sleeve
From: Red <RedHaines@centurytel.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 19:15:00 -0500
Many thanks, Jim;

Your calculations and experience appear quite conclusive.  We don't need
to worry too much about the weight of common coax overloading the
tensile strength when it is supported at a single point, but we need to
prevent the increased tensile load due to wind from exceeding its
strength by tying it to a structure to support the horizontal load.
That may require a clever solution on telescoping structures.  It's been
many years since I used a telescoping tower.  If I remember correctly
(and I'm not sure of that!), I suspended the coax inside the sections
and carefully handled it to make sure it wasn't damaged while lowering
or raising or lowering the tower.  I'm sure that coax was subject to
flapping in the wind, within the confines of the tower.  I used it for
only a couple years before replacing it with a freestanding tower with
all coax and control cables secured to a tower leg at short intervals to
prevent flapping.

73 de Red