Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR problem-update from the front lines

To: "'K4SAV'" <RadioIR@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR problem-update from the front lines
From: "James C. Garland" <4cx250b@muohio.edu>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 21:30:04 -0600
I think Jerry is exactly right in his suggestions. Evidently, some sort of
current transient is shutting down the power supply.  A 12V negative spike
on a +33VDC power supply at tuning startup is very odd indeed. Sounds like
an inductive kick of some sort.

But there's really no way to diagnose the problem without a circuit diagram.
This is definitely an issue for the company to solve.

I understand the desire for companies to keep their designs close to the
chest, but the Steppir controller circuitry doesn't seem particularly
sophisticated to me. By not publishing the schenatic diagram, or any of the
engineering test results, the company therefore has a major responsibility
to stay on top of service complaints. Customers can't fix or diagnose
problems without the diagrams, so they're really stuck if the company
doesn't come to their aid. There are a large number of sophisticated and
experienced hams who would be will to lend a hand in cases like this, so it
seems to me that SteppIR is losing out on a valuable resource by keeping
their designs secret.

Jim W8ZR