Re: [TowerTalk] Rebar Cage Question

To: n9lah@comcast.net, TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rebar Cage Question
From: WO0W <WO0W@acegroup.cc>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 15:09:03 -0500
Welding works if you specify weldable rebar. It is not hard to find and
is not much more expensive than the uncontrolled rebar that is made from
scrap metal.   Welding  enables the rebar to distribute a lightning hit
more evenly throughout the cage.  It is easily welded with E7018 rod.
If properly designed, it becomes a Ufer ground that provides a large
area of contact to the earth for grounding.  Contrary to some claims, a
Ufer ground does not lead to damaging the concrete when it conducts
lightning.  A Ufer ground is not a good HF ground and, for good
lightning protection of equipment connected to the control lines and
feedlines from the tower, the base should be supplemented by at least
one circle of six ground rods about 16 feet from the base.

73 de WOØW