Re: [TowerTalk] Safe Climbing was Re: Roswell Tower Accident

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Safe Climbing was Re: Roswell Tower Accident
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 07:59:27 -0400
I understand, Dick, but my fall-arrest -- sold as such by Klein -- doesn't
have a shock absorber either.  At some point I may bite the bullet and buy
a y-lanyard with fall arrest, but the last time I priced them they cost as
much as my whole harness did 10 years ago.

I only started climbing a decade ago, and one of the things my mentor
stressed, even over hardware specifics, was to think through every step in
the project before you set foot on the tower, and then approach the actual
work in the same deliberate fashion (looking at the hook after you snap it
on, testing it with your weight while looking at it before you release your
hand-hold, etc.

73, Pete N4ZR